2022 Student Health/Dental Insurance Plans
Information on insurance through UNI
The University of Northern Iowa is concerned about the potential threat the high cost of health and dental care may pose to a student’s financial well-being.
We are excited to announce new policies will be available effective January 1, 2023. We will be terminating the current policies effective December 31, 2022.
For this reason, the university offers health and dental insurance coverage to students through the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), a group policy administered by Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Iowa, and the Student Dental Insurance, a group policy administered by Delta Dental of Iowa through the University of Iowa Benefits Office.
Health insurance coverage is in effect at school and during vacation periods, 24 hours a day, worldwide. You may seek care from any medical or dental provider you choose. However, if you use a Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield Classic Blue or a Delta Dental provider, your costs will generally be much lower.
If you decide this insurance is suitable for your situation, you may complete an enrollment form and during our open enrollment period and return it to the University of Northern Iowa Student Health Clinic Insurance Office. For additional information, contact the Student Health Clinic Insurance Office at 319-273-7736, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Health & Dental Insurance Plan
Effective December 31, 2022 this policy will be terminated and coverage will be available under a new insurance policy.
To be eligible for the student health insurance, you must be a registered student attending on-campus classes at the time coverage begins and be taking at least 5 credit hours and degree seeking to qualify for coverage. You will not need to re-enroll at the beginning of each academic year unless changing your coverage. Coverage will end on the last day of the month in which you cease to be a student. After leaving UNI, you may enroll in SHIP for Departing Students to continue your coverage up to 12 months.
UNI Student Health Insurance Brochure and Enrollment Form
International Student Health Insurance Brochure and Information
Under university policy, all CIEP, undergraduate and graduate international students will be required to carry the University of Northern Iowa Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
- 2022 International Student SHIP Summary in PDF format
View International Student Health Insurance section for more information.
Identification Cards & Billing
Insured students will receive identification cards 15-21 business days after their SHIP application has been processed. All premiums will be charge once a month and you will receive a bill from the University of Iowa.
You can choose to have your monthly premium deducted from a checking or savings account. Please contact email@example.com or 319-273-7736 for the appropriate forms.
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa
636 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309-2565
Customer Service/Claims Inquiries: (toll free) 1-800-535-6099
For precertification: call (toll free) 1-800-558-4409
If you need assistance while you are out of the United States and need to locate a provider or hospital.
Customer Service/Precertification for inpatient care (toll free) 1-800-810-BLUE
Delta Dental of Iowa
Questions about claims or specific dental coverage: (toll free) 1-800-544-0718
Cancellation of Policy
To cancel the policy, contact the UNI Student Health Insurance Office at 319-273-7736 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Coverage will terminate at the end of the month in which a student ceases to be registered for classes. Non-payment is not a method to terminate coverage. Written notification is required to terminate the SHIP and dental insurance coverage.
International Student Health Insurance Booklet and Waiver Information
All CIEP, undergraduate and graduate International students will be required to carry the University of Northern Iowa Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Download the 2022 International Student summary of coverage and benefits in PDF format.
Effective August 1, 2012
The University of Northern Iowa requires international students entering the University purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) provided by the Student Health Clinic. Please see the University Policy 3.16: International Students Health Insurance Policy Requirements for more information.
International students are defined for this purpose as students who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or refugees. The UNI SHIP coverage is mandatory as a condition of your enrollment to the University. You will be automatically enrolled in the UNI SHIP and assessed the health insurance premium on your University bill.
In order to waive the mandatory enrollment, one of the following criteria must be met. Note that waivers are granted only under very limited circumstances.
- International students with foreign government-sponsored or corporate health insurance (e.g., SAUDI Mission insurance, Kazakhstan insurance, John Deere & Co. Insurance, and other comparable insurance approved by the UNI Student Health Clinic ). Students who have coverage which is sponsored by the aforementioned agencies must provide documentation to the Student Health Clinic by the tenth class day of each semester
- International students enrolled in a custom program for eight weeks or less who have insurance approved by the host department.
Waiver Guidelines for Comparable Coverage
Your health insurance coverage must meet ALL the following criteria and be submitted by the waiver deadline:
- Coverage for all pre-existing conditions with no limits for the coverage;
- Coverage for both accident and sickness; and have an unlimited benefit for any illness or injury;
- A deductible not in excess of $500 per individual, per policy (academic) year;
- Coverage for hospital room, board, miscellaneous hospital expenses, physician expenses in and out of the hospital, ambulance service, outpatient labs, x-rays and diagnostic tests without specific limitations for the treatment of medical conditions;
- Coverage for pregnancy as any other illness or injury;
- Inpatient and outpatient, mental health and substance abuse coverage and must be covered as any other illness or injury;
- Must purchase coverage for entire stay, month to month or quarterly premiums are not acceptable
- Insurance company must have a US claims address/US customer service
- Prescription drug coverage with a minimum of $100,000 coverage per policy (academic) year;
- Pay benefits worldwide (exemption from coverage in an international student’s home country is acceptable);
- Provision for medical evacuation to an international student’s home country; and provision for repatriation (after death, removal of remains) to an international student’s home country.
If your health insurance coverage meets all the requirements please complete the waiver application.
Please note: Receipt of a waiver request does not guarantee a waiver will be granted. We will contact you regarding the rejection of a waiver application via your UNI E-mail account.
Fall Semester: September 9, 2021
Spring Semester: February 9, 2022
Summer: June 9, 2022
Waiver forms must be submitted each policy year.