Brief Alcohol Screening & Intervention for College Students
BASICS was designed specifically to help college students make safer and healthier choices regarding alcohol. BASICS uses a harm reduction approach. Within the field of collegiate alcohol/drug prevention/education, BASICS is considered a model program based on sound research efficacy. BASICS is mandated for students who have violated AOD policy and have been sanctioned for a major offense. However, this program is available to all students on a voluntary basis.
Students complete a confidential alcohol/drug questionnaire and then a personalized feedback profile is generated for the student and a Student Wellness Services staff member to review during a scheduled appointment. The appointment lasts up to 60 minutes.
Schedule a BASICS Session
The following bullets provide information regarding BASICS outcomes:
- Helping the student identify high-risk drinking situations for them individually
- Providing accurate information about alcohol (i.e. negative consequences, blood alcohol content, standard drinks, tolerance)
- Identifying personal risk factors (i.e. family history, behavior)
- Challenging of myths and positive alcohol expectancies (i.e. examining beliefs, social functioning, self-monitoring)
- Establishing more appropriate and safer drinking goals (i.e. moderation)
- Managing high-risk drinking situations (i.e. strategies and goals)
- Learning from mistakes
- Increasing self-efficacy
- Attaining lifestyle balance
Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO Consultation
eCHECKUP TO GO is an interactive assessment and feedback tool that was specifically developed for use with college students. After completing a confidential questionnaire about your cannabis use, you will receive accurate and personalized feedback about:
- Your individual pattern of cannabis use
- Your risk patterns
- Your aspirations and goals
- Helpful resources at University of Northern Iowa and in your community
Who can use Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO?
This Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO program was purchased for the exclusive use of, and tailored to, University of Northern Iowa. This online program is appropriate for any UNI student who is concerned about their cannabis use and how it compares to other students.
Some UNI students complete the Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO program to fulfill an educational sanction through the university.
Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO appointment
A Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO appointment consists of a one-on-one, confidential consultation with Kaili Benham, health & wellbeing coordinator within the department of Student Wellness Services. The appointment takes approximately 60 minutes and will take place in the Student Health Center. During this session, the student meets their facilitator, completes the Cannabis eCHECKUP TO GO online program, reviews their results with the facilitator, and if appropriate, identifies potential changes that could work to help reduce their risk for developing future cannabis-related problems.